BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »
All rights reserved for the content writing on this site. Copyright 2014-2017

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Christian Hater?


Fairly recently some one called me a "Christian Hater". Now I took offence to this charge and felt the need to explain to the individual that I am, indeed, not what was said of me. So, I thought that I would forward my thoughts on to this site in case there are others who may think that I am a "Christian Hater". 

I am not a"Christian Hater"

After having that conversation with that particular individual I told some others within my working community what I was called in that previous conversation and to my surprise they did not disagree. I was shocked! How could they too think that I was a "Christian Hater"? I proceeded to inquire why they felt that I was, to which they responded that I always seem to be coming down on Christianity.  Here again, I felt the need to explain to these individuals that I am not a "hater" and that just because I challenge and ask questions and/or even disagree does not mean that I hate Christianity or its followers. *I feel it is important to note that all those that have labeled me as a "hater" are Christians.* I reassured them that I do not hate Christians and that I have never insulted them, called them names or belittled them in any way, shape or form. While I critique, challenge and disagree, both silently and vocally, with much of Christian theology and its ideals this does not mean that I am a "Christian Hater". Yes I can be a thorn in a Christian side but it all depends on what type of Christian we are talking about. A liberal Christian may not exactly have the same problem with me that a conservative Christian does, though I take argument with them also. 


So before anybody gets to upset that I seem to be picking on those poor little Christians, let me explain a little something. You see I was raised Christian, of the conservative branch, and that is what it really comes down to, it is what I really know best. It is as simple as that. If I was raised any other way I would be challenging, critiquing and disagreeing with the other. I have always asked questions and always challenged the norms, that is just who I am. I am not a hater, I just like to question. I am, after all, Called to Question. 

 If Christians take offence to what I say, how I act or what I believe than maybe they need a little more sleep, a little more wine, a little more sex or just a little more fun. I love you Christians, seriously I do! You may drive me up the wall sometimes, but hey life would be pretty mundane without you. So just relax, lighten up and continue the conversation with this heathen. I won't hate you if you don't hate me. :)




12 comments:

Grant said...


Very interesting: And I was accused of being "worse" than Satan, because while he is the accuser of the brethren they are his enemies whereas I attack my own family, (of believers). I have responded with a lengthy defense of my position counting it a great honour to be identified with the one erroneously named "Satan" in the book of Job. In way of a study it is significant that according to those who know these things the term "sawtan" which means "accuser" or opposition, is given a definite article which makes it "the accuser", and therefore is NOT a proper name. Secondly in Job 1 and 2 where "the accuser" is introduced it says of him that he is IN HEAVEN, and is presenting himself before God. The KJV calls the assebled ones of whom "the accuser" is one, "The SONS OF GOD", and the NIV calls them Angels. And my accusers think I should cower in repentance for holding such a positions. But this "accuser" in the book of Job is acting under the orders of God. He is a servant of God's and in this cosmic picture is serving as the attorney for the prosecution. Normally, the "accusation" that the accuser brings would be true and it would be proven in court that one who served God as Job did, WOULD cave in when facing the kinds of disaster that Job did. God did not here rebuke the accuser, but encouraged him to do his best to prove the charges. And in this case he "lost the case". BUT in the process of the trial, (the rest of the book) we find that 4 very religious leaders/theologians had point after point of the "Pat Answers" exposed as being false and misrepresenting the character and work of God.

Then related to this charge against me, today I came across this and it I think is worthy of your contemplation or consideration.
http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/church/6-heretics-should-be-banned-evangelicalism

Too bad you can't follow on Facebook, my interactions with my "accusers".

Fun though.

CalledToQuestion said...

@ Grant

Funny, we get called a lot of things, don't we? The devil, heathen, heretic, but "Christian Hater" was a first for me. So what your telling me is that what we are doing is God ordained and that all those who accuse us should really be thanking us for doing the Lord's work? :) Keep up the good work Grant! Good to know I am not alone. :) No Pat Answers, right? Basically the "friends" of Job had all the Pat Answers, they said everything "correct" and "theologically sound" "God is great, God is good let us thank Him for this food. Amen" But God was not happy with Jobs "friends" was he? Job, however, pretty much thrusted his fist up toward God and yelled "You bloody butcher, how can you do this" and this God was happy with! :) This God seems to prefer relationships over theologies. Hmmmm. Why can't his followers do the same?
Great thoughts Grant. I'll check out that link.

Tim Bartlett said...

I am sadden to hear you were called “Christian Hater”. From our interactions together over the past year I must say that you are not a hater Christian or otherwise. If you hate anything I would say creeds and dogma. “Keep your chin up” and know that your “Calling” is important and more people should be doing just that. More than just on matters of religion too.
Take care and may God bless.

CalledToQuestion said...

@ Tim

Tim, thanks for the encouragement. It has been great getting to know you over the last year and great having you attend 'Called to Question'. I'll keep the 'Calling to Question' going. :)

Sabio Lantz said...

LOL
Well said!
Yet on the other hand, we can hate the truth claim of a belief and yet not its function -- a hard distinction (see my last post).

CalledToQuestion said...

@ Sabio

I think I get it, what do you mean by function(Sorry I just finished along day siding a house in the hot sun, my brain is not quite functional).
Which post was that? Was it the "F2F Generosity"?
Thanks for stopping by! :)

Kmarie said...

I think your blog may be loosing comments...I commentated twice and it never showed up in your awaiting comments section...
I have many amazing friends who are Christians...we both do, but the difference between them and those who accuse us of being haters is that they actually KNOW us, thus by knowing the code and love we live by they would NEVER accuse us of that. They know we like to challenge and discuss the damaging aspects of anything ( not just christianity) but particularly so because of what we are consistently bombarded with.
Lol, you wrote the write prescription...a little more sex, fun and sleep! Yes!:) I am so glad I am married to you!

Kmarie Audrey said...

ha I meant right not write...my dyslexia is showing:)

CalledToQuestion said...

@ Kmarie

We do have some good Christian friends, friends who are willing to put their relationships before their faith.

LOL I am glad I am married to you as well.:)

Sabio Lantz said...

Sorry, c2q, I never got back to your question.
"Function" is what clusters of beliefs and practices pragmatically accomplishes for someone, outside of their truth function.
Clear?

Philip CalledtoQuestion said...

@ Sabio

No worries! Ok. I get it. :) Thanks Sabio

My Little Warriors said...

hmm.. I would never have pegged you or K as "Christian haters".. I so see you guys as people who are pursuing truth and pursuing a life of beauty. I see both of you as recovering from a childhood where you felt the truth wasn't fully given to you. The only way I would call you a Christian hater is if you where going around throwing stones in your neighbors windows and setting their houses on fire and trying to drive them out of town ;) ... but I think you are what you said, "called to question" and God has put a desire to know, search out truths, and love others.. that's all I see.