BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »
All rights reserved for the content writing on this site. Copyright 2014-2017

Thursday, April 11, 2013

No Bad Words


For the purpose of GOOD and EVILwe use words.  The GREATEST TRAVESTY, however, is when we waste them on MINDLESS DRIVEL! 


*Please note that I am in no way saying that I have come any where close to perfecting that of which I have said in the following. I view myself, not as better then anyone in this field, but rather as co-journeyers in the understanding of linguistics and the use there of.  I have much to work on in speech and in grammar as well. This is an area in which I hope to better myself. Thanks*

"Think Before You Speak"

and

"Actions Speak Louder Then Words" 

These are phrases we have all heard before, but have we failed to look deeper into their meanings than what we have come to know them as? Have we failed to pass these understandings unto our children, ourselves and even unto others? 

Over the years as my three children grow, I have been teaching them, and learning myself, the value of words. To cherish and respect them as treasured instruments. 

Words are living…always evolving, whether quickly or over long periods of time. They are powerful and, as we have seen in history, have the ability to alter the future. They give hope, knowledge, and awareness. Have we not all heard, at young ages through to our adulthood, from our parents, elders, and even peers that there are some words that are 'bad' and should not be said? How many of us have had our mouths washed out with soap, literally or metaphorically?

My children are learning that THERE ARE NO BAD WORDS!...only bad ways of using them. It is our attitudes, motives and reasonings behind our speech that we must hold check, not the word. For this reason, many have become confused and unjustly accuse the word, and/or the speech, of being foul… when all along it was the attitude behind it that they so disagreed with. My children thus learn to conduct their thoughts, feelings and speech in respect, honour and love of others as well as words. Attitude is not the only concern when using words, but also learning which words are most effective as well as understanding the social group they are in and the words that are best suited and respectable for that social setting. 


My family and I have the privilege of making this journey together, for as far as I can remember, I was not taught this vital differentiation (At least not in this exact manner. This is no put down to my upbringing but rather a personal observation.). We view this as a more holistic approach to the use of and understanding of words and language. In this manner, one begins to realize and appreciate speech and thus becomes it.  

Language derives not in the word, but from within the heart.

Language and words, and the use their of, are of immense importance, I fear that I sound like an old dud when I say this... but in our age of abbreviations (txt) and grammatical brutality, in forms of short point information (twitter, facebook,) we may have deadened, not only words, but our minds conceptualization of them and their use. 
*Please, I mean no offence to those of you who use these particular forms of communication. They have their place and importance, and like words they themselves are not bad, it is how and what they are used for that have made them a nauseant to some.

It is my hope that all those who have a presence in the lives of my children will likewise respect and cherish words, understanding that THERE ARE NO BAD WORDS!, only bad ways of using them. Please, do not tell children or others that a word is bad, wicked or evil, but rather focus on how they may better handle their attitudes prior to the use there of and why they feel the need to use that and/or those words. 

THERE IS POWER IN OUR WORDS AND HOW WE USE THEM! GO... SPEAK WISELY, COMPASSIONATELY AND IN LOVE!



2 comments:

My Little Warriors said...

I am of the personal belief that the world was spoken into existence. It was words that brought us here... just words speaking into a void and creating. Pretty amazing and tells you the weight that they carry. Though we do take them much to lightly. I've come to value words and any word ESSPEICALLY coming from my son who has a difficult time expressing words, is beautiful. If he stubbed his toe and yelled " DAMN IT" ... well we would have a party. And encourage him to express that more. :) Good thing we live in the country ... lol...
Anyway... words have the ultimate ability to heal or hurt. I would much take physical pain over the emotional pain of an unkind word anyday.
Good thoughts, your children are blessed that you and your beautiful wife desire to give them understanding in language and the way it is to be used.

CalledToQuestion said...

MLW- Thanks. You are so right about the power of our words healing and hurting. Have you read Tolkien's 'The Silmarillion' a beautiful story of creation through song and words..
I hope you have lots of parties:).