BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »
All rights reserved for the content writing on this site. Copyright 2014-2017

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Choose Love Not Power: Part I


All of us, in some way or another, desire power.

Max Weber, german sociologist and arguably the foremost social theorist of the twentieth century, defines power as the ability to coerce or to impose your will on others. We see this happening all around us within the relationships that we are engaged in and/or witness. We love to be in positions of control, for in it we feel a sense safety and security. Dr. Tony Campolo, a professor emeritus of sociology at Eastern Universityhas perhaps noted it best, that this is a society that thinks the way to change the world is through power. This has recently been seen through the likes of the Iraqi and Afghani wars and the lust for wealth and power that has brought about the economic downfall. It is even within our churches that congregations, leaders and pastors are forced, purposefully or unknowingly, into positions control.

In future posts I will be sharing points on this topic given from great thinkers, myself included (just joking, but not really, but sort of), stories that transform and inspire as well as persons of exceptional example. I ask that you think about times within your life that you have ever been the victim and/or the victimizer of power, if you so desire, share your story within the comments of the posts to follow.

Cheers,

3 comments:

Kmarie said...

Love that you are doing this. Looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog - yay!
The biggest sadness of the past two years for me was that those who aspired to positions of power in the church killed the love that was there - it was a small amount of love, but as long as it was there, I was able to hang on tight and go through hell and high water to love, as well, because I thought that was the point - to love. As soon as power became the point ("Do as I say or else") the reason to be and do anything in that space was killed, and remains dead. However, finding blogs like yours and Kissa's and meetings such as the two of you promote, lets me know that there is still such a thing as love in this small religious town. So I guess I'm responding to this blog as well as the previous.
POWER KILLS LOVE. LOVE CAN CAUSE POWER TO RUN AWAY SCREAMING (as it has done and also is in the process of doing at my 'church'.)
We'll see if love comes back once power players are all completely gone in the coming year...and maybe my love will continue to grow?
Thanks for sharing your struggles to understand life.
Miriam

Philip said...

Miriam- Thanks for dropping by. I truly hope that those who carry on with power will go through the same sort of struggles that my wife, I and, I am sure, you yourself have gone through. That they may fall in humility and bask in what we have come to know as the absolute love and grace of the marvellous divine. I am sure that we all understand that there will always be those that stand in opposition to love and would rather play power games, but, perhaps, there is no greater opportunity to radiate the infectious love of Jesus.